Originally the British head-quarters for the French tyre company Michelin in 1911, the Michelin Building was lovingly restored to a restaurant, shop and office space in 1986. It was bought from Michelin by Sir Terence Conran and the late Lord Paul Hamlyn who had long admired it.
Bibendum is named after Michelin’s portly mascot Monsieur Bibendum who, in turn, takes his name from the latin phrase Nunc est Bibendum, ‘Now is the time to drink’.
Dining at the Restaurant is a visual feast as well as a treat for the taste buds. During the day, light streams through the spectacular stained glass windows, and the high-ceilinged Restaurant buzzes with reassuring activity. Comfy chairs and well-spaced tables add to the feeling of space. The evening brings with it a sense of elegance and glamour, and the right combination of welcome, attentiveness and professionalism has been honed to perfection over the Restaurant’s 28-year history. Dining at the Restaurant always feels like a special occasion.